SUNDAY: Cloudy and breezy with locally heavy rain. High: 54. Winds: Southeast 10-15 mph, gusting to 25 mph.
SUNDAY NIGHT: Rain showers continue into the evening with rain mixing with snow overnight as temperatures turn colder. ...
Tri-City Leaders, Parents Talk About Mold Problem
Don't fear the fungi. That's what Tri-City school leaders are telling concerned parents tonight.
As we first reported last week, mold and bacteria discovered at Tri-City School in Buffalo should not pose a significant health risk to students and staff.
Tonight, school leaders are talking to teachers and parents about the cleanup process.
The school, which has students from preschool through high school, has shut down four rooms, including the girls' locker room, because of a mold and bacteria infestation.
Occupational Environmental Health Solutions (OEHS) representatives said a sewage backup last summer is the likely culprit, along with poor maintenance of heating and AC units.
The mold could cause allergic reactions, though only after prolonged exposure. And only a small amount of it was airborne.
"If they want to lick the floor in the girls' locker room, they might get sick," OEHS CEO Jim Barnes said. "It's not in the air, so I don't think it's an issue."
The company presented its findings to staff and some parents this afternoon.
OHES took an additional 70 samples around the school on Monday, and are waiting for results.
The superintendent said the district is trying to get mold and bacteria cleaned as soon as possible, but did not have a specific timeframe.
For those who want more information, OEHS will make the same presentation to parents Thursday at 6 p.m.