SATURDAY NIGHT: Cloudy, breezy and mild with showers. Low: 46. Winds: South 10-15 mph, gusting to 25 mph.SUNDAY: Cloudy and breezy with locally heavy rain. High: 565 Winds: Southeast 10-15 mph, gusting to 25 mph.SUNDAY ...more »
Tips For Winter Weather Driving
The winter storm prompted state police to step up manpower, both on the streets and in dispatch centers. And you can help keep roads safe, even before you put your car in gear.
As always, cops recommend you stay off the roads while it's snowing unless you absolutely need to go out. If you must drive in the snow, they gave us a bunch of tips about doing it safely:
- Make sure your car is completely cleared off.
- Make sure the windshield, windows, and lights are clear of snow.
- Don't forget the hood, trunk, and roof. Flying snow can be dangerous for both you and other drivers.
- Make sure your car is stocked with gas, water, warm clothing, and blankets.
- Have an emergency kit so you and your car can be seen if you have to pull over. It should include lights, flares, or something else that's easily visible and alerts other motorists you need help.
- Tell someone where you are going before you leave.
- Avoid distracted driving, but make sure you have your cell phone fully charged and accessible.