THURSDAY: Morning sun gives way to increasing clouds and a passing shower in the afternoon. High: 64. Winds: South 5-10 mph.
THURSDAY NIGHT: Mostly cloudy and mild. Low: 50. Winds: Light West.
FRIDAY: Morning ...
Free Leaf Pickup Scheduled in Springfield
From the city of Springfield:
The City of Springfield's 2012 free fall leaf drop-off program will begin on Monday October 15. The free fall leaf pickup program will begin on Thursday, November 1.
"The City is pleased to work with Evans Recycling this year for free drop-off for residents," Mayor Mike Houston said. "All Springfield residents have to do is drop off their yard waste in properly marked collection bags at Evans Recycling, which is located at 2100 J. David Jones Parkway."
For those residents utilizing the curbside pickup option, a garbage hauler or a public works crew will pickup their properly marked bags once per week through the month of November. Haulers are again assigned to three city quadrants and crews from the Office of Public Works will pick up from the fourth.
"Residents do not need to call to request pickup of leaf bags or containers," City of Springfield Recycling Coordinator Abby Walden said. "In order for residents to take advantage of the once per week collection, they should place leaves in paper yard waste bags or cans marked "YARD WASTE" at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on Monday of each week. Please do not remove the bagged leaves or cans from the curb once you place them there."
Important Points to Remember:
- Bags or cans should be placed at the end of driveways or on parkways between the sidewalk and street.
- Leaves left on boulevards will not be picked up.
- Leaves should be placed in paper yard waste bags-not grocery sacks or boxes.
- Please do not use any type of tape on the bag to seal it shut as the tape is not recyclable.
- Plastic bags are not accepted because they cannot be recycled.
- Waste cans are acceptable, but should not weigh more than 60 pounds and must be marked "Yard Waste" with letters large enough to be seen from the street by the drivers.