FRIDAY: Mostly sunny. High: 37. Winds: Southeast 10-15 mph.
FRIDAY NIGHT: Mostly cloudy with light freezing rain possible during the evening becoming all rain overnight as temperatures warm above freezing after ...
For even more recipes, View Our Recipe Archives
Slow Cooker Carnitas
Made by: MCL Restaurant & Bakery Executive Chef Ian Kille
4 lbs. boneless pork butt or 4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 chipotle pepper, finely chopped
2 teaspoons adobo sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Juice from 1 lime
Juice from 1 orange
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- If using pork, trim fat and cube into 2-inch pieces.
- In the ceramic insert of your slow cooker, combine pork or chicken with the remaining ingredients and toss until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, add 2 cups of water to the pork or chicken mixture and return the ceramic insert to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7 1/2 to 8 hours. Keep covered during cooking.
- The meat mixture will be fully cooked when it is tender and falling apart. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the meat into a glass dish or baking pan.
- Transfer any juices remaining in the slow cooker to a skillet and cook, uncovered, on a stove over medium high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce the liquid until it is a thick syrupy consistency.
- While the liquid boils, shred the meat mixture by pressing gently with two forks. Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker.
- Once the liquid is fully reduced, pour it over the shredded pork.
- Transfer to a platter or serving dish if eating immediately or keep covered in the slow cooker on the warm setting until dinner.
This recipe aired 11/06/12.