THURSDAY: Afternoon flurries with slowly falling temperatures. High: 21. Winds: North 10-15 mph.
THURSDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy and colder. Low: -5. Winds: Northwest 10-15 mph.
FRIDAY: Mostly ...more »
For even more recipes, View Our Recipe Archives
Slow Cooker Carnitas
Made by: MCL Restaurant & Bakery Executive Chef Ian Kille
4 lbs. boneless pork butt or 4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 chipotle pepper, finely chopped
2 teaspoons adobo sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Juice from 1 lime
Juice from 1 orange
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- If using pork, trim fat and cube into 2-inch pieces.
- In the ceramic insert of your slow cooker, combine pork or chicken with the remaining ingredients and toss until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, add 2 cups of water to the pork or chicken mixture and return the ceramic insert to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7 1/2 to 8 hours. Keep covered during cooking.
- The meat mixture will be fully cooked when it is tender and falling apart. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the meat into a glass dish or baking pan.
- Transfer any juices remaining in the slow cooker to a skillet and cook, uncovered, on a stove over medium high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce the liquid until it is a thick syrupy consistency.
- While the liquid boils, shred the meat mixture by pressing gently with two forks. Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker.
- Once the liquid is fully reduced, pour it over the shredded pork.
- Transfer to a platter or serving dish if eating immediately or keep covered in the slow cooker on the warm setting until dinner.
This recipe aired 11/06/12.
Tonight on WICS
Amelia gives a lecture about the intricacies of Dr. Herman's case that fascinates the doctors.
How to Get Away with Murder
Newschannel 20 at 10
Jimmy Kimmel Live!
Celebrity guests and comedy skits.