SUNDAY: Cloudy and breezy with locally heavy rain. High: 54. Winds: Southeast 10-15 mph, gusting to 25 mph.
SUNDAY NIGHT: Rain showers continue into the evening with rain mixing with snow overnight as temperatures turn colder. ...
For even more recipes, View Our Recipe Archives
Quinoa and Chicken Soup
Made by: Brian Tucker - Richland Community College
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
� cup parsnip, chopped
� cup carrot, chopped
� cup celery, chopped
6 each garlic cloves, minced
� teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, � pieces
8 cups chicken broth, low sodium
1 teaspoon kosher salt
� teaspoon black pepper
1 cup uncooked quinoa
4 cups kale, chopped
1. Heat half of the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion, parsnip, carrot and celery. Saute the vegetables for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 1 additional minute. Remove the vegetable mixture from the pan and set aside.
2. Heat the remaining oil in the same pot and add the chicken pieces. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until the chicken is browned and cooked through.
3. Add the vegetable mixture to the pot along with the chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
4. Meanwhile rinse the quinoa in a fine strainer. Once the broth has come to a boil add the quinoa. Cover the pot and cook for 15 minutes.
5. Add the chopped kale and parsley, and simmer uncovered for 3 minutes or until the kale is tender. Ladle into soup bowls and serve.
This recipe aired January 13, 2014.